Lock Manuel Carizza remains the biggest injury concern for DHL Stormers head coach Allister Coetzee ahead of his team’s first home game of the 2014 Vodacom Super Rugby season.
The DHL Stormers will host the Hurricanes at DHL Newlands on Friday evening (kick-off 19h10), and there are a few injury concerns in the camp ahead of their second fixture of 2014 with four players having suffered knocks against the Lions last week.
In some good news, fullback Jaco Taute and lock De Kock Steenkamp are available for selection this Friday.
The full DHL Stormers injury report (24/02/14):
– Lock Manuel Carizza (back) is the most doubtful player ahead of this Friday.
– Flank Schalk Burger strained his groin against the Lions and will hopefully return to training on Tuesday.
– Flank Siya Kolisi has an AC Joint injury. It depends on his pain threshold in terms of his availability (for the Hurricanes match).
– Hooker Scarra Ntubeni (ankle) completed Saturday’s match and should be okay to play after going over his ankle. He sat out training with Kolisi on Monday.
– Flank/hooker Deon Fourie has a viral infection and was sent home from training on Monday. He should be able to train on Tuesday.
– Fullback Jaco Taute is back at full training after resting his knee this past week. He is ready to play but it will be determined whether he can start or not.
– Lock De Kock Steenkamp (groin) is back at full training and available for selection.
* Centre Juan de Jongh and wing Cheslin Kolbe still remain sidelined with knee injuries suffered during pre-season action, but have been doing rehabilitation in Stellenbosch along with lock Eben Etzebeth (foot).
QUOTES FROM DHL STORMERS COACH ALLISTER COETZEE:
ON JACO TAUTE:
“Jaco (Taute) looks okay and he will definitely be involved against the Hurricanes, we just have to decide what suits him best.
“This is not a pre-season game, so we have to decide whether he should play off the bench or start. Remember, we are playing against a side with four All Blacks in their backline. In the end it will be up to Jaco, what he is comfortable with, but having him at fullback would obviously be a massive help as it will allow us to select our best combinations elsewhere.
“The dilemma we are sitting with focuses on whether we should play Damian de Allende at centre or on the wing. He is a top-quality centre, and he did well this past weekend, but it will be good to have his abrasiveness and physicality back in the midfield alongside Jean de Villiers. I thought Damian and Jean trained really well together today.”
ON SIYA KOLISI:
“With Siya (Kolisi) it’s just a bump to the AC Joint, which means he just has to work on the pain threshold. Usually a guy plays when he has the problem that Siya has so he should be ready to take the field.”
ON DEON FOURIE AND SCARRA NTUBENI:
“The other players who did not train today were Deon Fourie, who has a bout of viral infection, and Scarra Ntubeni.
“Deon will be fine, he will be back in training on Tuesday. The same holds for Scarra. He completed the full 80 minutes after sustaining a bump to the ankle. He is just being iced and managed today (Monday), but will be ready for the Hurricanes.”