The DHL Stormers, fresh off their 24-8 win over the Force at the weekend, were further boosted on Monday with some good news in the injury department.
The Men from the Cape will host the Cheetahs in Cape Town this coming Saturday and the likes of Oli Kebble, Schalk Burger, Jean de Villiers and Sailosi Tagicakibau will be considered for selection once again.
No.8 Duane Vermeulen, who captained the team against the Force, is being managed this week and sat out training on Monday, along with lock Ruan Botha and prop Brok Harris.
However, neither Vermuelen, nor Botha and Harris are in doubt for the Cheetahs clash at DHL Newlands on Saturday (kick-off 17h05).
In some bad news, however, prop Steven Kitshoff has also undergone a foot operation (after his initial MCL knee injury – suffered against the Highlanders) and he will be out of action for at least 16 weeks.
Kitshoff’s foot injury is similar to that of Eben Etzebeth’s. Etzebeth, of course, is yet to play a game this year but is nearing a return to fitness.
The full DHL Stormers injury report (19/05/14):
– Prop Oli Kebble (concussion), flank Schalk Burger (back/coccyx region), flyhalf Demetri Catrakilis (broke nose) and wing Sailosi Tagicakibau (calf muscle) all returned to full team training today and will be considered for the Cheetahs game.
– Flank Sikhumbuzo Notshe (knee) and flyhalf Gary van Aswegen (groin) also rejoined team training today.
– Centre and squad captain Jean de Villiers (AC Joint) will rejoin training tomorrow and also be considered for selection against the Cheetahs.
– No.8 Duane Vermeulen (bumps and bruises), lock Ruan Botha (small knock to the knee) and prop Brok Harris (small AC Joint sprain) will be managed this week but will all be available for selection this.
– Prop Frans Malherbe (concussion) is still showing slight symptons after taking a knock to his head against the Highlanders. He is highly unlikely to play this week.
– The following squad players remain sidelined with injuries at present: Prop Steven Kitshoff (knee & foot), hookers Scarra Ntubeni (broken foot) and Tiaan Liebenberg (neck), locks Eben Etzebeth (foot), Jurie van Vuuren (shoulder), De Kock Steenkamp (groin), Rynhardt Elstadt (shoulder), Gerbrandt Grobler (shoulder) and Manuel Carizza (wrist), scrumhalves Louis Schreuder (fractured thumb) and Godlen Masimla (wrist) and fullbacks Gio Aplon (elbow) and Ryno Eksteen (knee).