DHL Stormers lock Eben Etzebeth will not feature in the 2014 Vodacom Super Rugby tournament, but five players will be back for the DHL Stormers this weekend.
Forwards Deon Fourie and Tiaan Liebenberg and backs Louis Schreuder, Juan de Jongh, Kobus van Wyk and Gio Aplon are all fit and will be considered for selection for Saturday’s home clash against the Bulls (kick-off 17h05).
The full DHL Stormers injury report (30/06/14):
– Forward Deon Fourie (concussion), hooker Tiaan Liebenberg (neck), scrumhalf Louis Schreuder (broken thumb), centre Juan de Jongh (pneumonia), wing Kobus van Wyk (wrist) and fullback Gio Aplon (elbow) are all back at full training and will be considered for selection against the Bulls.
– Lock Eben Etzebeth (broken toe) will not play in the 2014 Vodacom Super Rugby competition after suffering his new injury – a broken toe which will keep him out of action for another two/three weeks.
– Prop Brok Harris (AC Joint) has undergone surgery and will be out of action until late August.
– Hooker Scarra Ntubeni (broken foot) will be available for the first round of the 2014 Absa Currie Cup competition.
– Prop Oli Kebble (ankle – syndesmosis) is due back in late August/early September.
– Centres Damian de Allende and Jean de Villiers (both knee injuries) are still out for another four weeks.
– Prop Frans Malherbe (concussion) is making good progress after showing concussion symptoms for some time. He won’t feature in the 2014 Super Rugby competition again but should be good to go for the Absa Currie Cup competition.
– Prop Steven Kitshoff (knee and ankle injuries) will not play rugby again in 2014.
DHL STORMERS COACH ALLISTER COETZEE ON:
BEING BACK AT TRAINING AFTER THE JUNE BREAK:
“We had a complete break for two weeks so that the players should freshen up mentally and physically and I could see at training today that the intensity levels were high.”
EBEN ETZEBETH’S TOE INJURY:
“Eben is not ready to play and won’t be up for selection for either of our two remaining Super Rugby fixtures.
“He will probably be ready in time to play for the Springboks in the Rugby Championships, but he wasn’t ready in time for the projected return date of June 28 and will have to now sit out a few more weeks because of his toe injury.”
THE DHL STORMERS’ CENTRE OPTIONS:
“Juan started running last week and by the way he trained today he looks like he’s ready to play.
“The other centre options are Peter Grant, Kobus van Wyk and Sailosi Tagicakibau, who has played at centre for London Irish. I have been pleased with the way Sailosi has adapted to the midfield in training.”
THE DHL STORMERS’ LOOSE FORWARD OPTIONS:
“Schalk Burger may have played for 80 minutes in the last Test but he and Siya Kolisi trained with great intensity after their injury lay-offs. We are now looking for the squad to get back to the fitness levels they were before the break so that we can end the season on a high note.
“It is so important to finish the Super Rugby season well so that we can take the momentum into the Currie Cup season.”