Experienced DHL Stormers flanker Schalk Burger will be rested from this weekend’s Vodacom Super Rugby match against the Cheetahs but his intended replacement, Michael Rhodes, is not yet fit to be considered for selection.
Burger has been a star performer for the DHL Stormers since returning from Japan in early March, but he will have this week off as part of the SA Franchise agreements with SA Rugby (in a World Cup year).
The DHL Stormers will host the Cheetahs at DHL Newlands on Saturday, having lost by 17-25 in Bloemfontein the last time these two sides met on May 2, 2015.
* This Saturday (May 30) will see DHL Western Province play host to the Pumas in the first ever Vodacom Cup Final at DHL Newlands.
The match – which gets underway at 14h10 – will serve as the curtain-raiser to the DHL Stormers v Cheetahs Vodacom Super Rugby clash at 17h05.
Match tickets, as usual still priced between R80 and R140 (and valid for both of Saturday’s matches), can be purchased online, at http://wprugby.computicket.com, or from Computicket outlets and Shoprite & Checkers stores nationwide.
The full DHL Stormers injury report (25/05/15):
– Flanker Schalk Burger will be rested this week as part of the SA Franchise agreements with SA Rugby.
– Flanker Michael Rhodes (hamstring) has not yet joined team training, so he will not be available this week.
– Captain (and No.8) Duane Vermeulen and centres Damian de Allende (tightness) and Juan de Jongh (minor dead leg) sat out training today as part of their continued game-week management.
– Lock Ruan Botha (ankle) and winger Kobus van Wyk (knee) remain on track for the Lions match (June 6).
– Utility back Jaco Taute (knee) came through his third Vodacom Cup match in a row and will train with the Super Rugby squad this week.
QUOTES FROM HEAD COACH ALLISTER COETZEE:
On resting Schalk Burger (and other players):
“It was planned a while ago and we will be roping in Sikhumbuzo Notshe from the (DHL Western Province) Vodacom Cup team.
“I am mindful of the fact that Duane Vermeulen, Eben Etzebeth, Frans Malherbe and Schalk (once more) are due some rest (in some cases more rest), but we have a plan and it will get clearer for me after this game. It’s difficult to say right now in terms of rest, but we want to see where we are first before making arrangements accordingly.”
On calling up players from the Vodacom Cup set-up (DHL Western Province are playing in this weekend’s final at DHL Newlands):
“We are mindful of the fact that our Vodacom Cup team is playing in a final (against the Pumas at DHL Newlands on Saturday). We need to make sure we juggle our options to benefit both teams, but, at the end of the day, we need to select our best possible side too.”
On hosting the Cheetahs:
“We need to perform and get the points against them this weekend to ensure we remain in contention for the Vodacom Super Rugby play-offs. We want to consolidate (on) our systems and ensure we keep winning – it doesn’t matter what else happens (to the other teams), we need to ensure we keep winning.”