Loose forwards Nizaam Carr and Siya Kolisi will not be available for Saturday’s pre-season friendly against the SWD Eagles in George, but the DHL Stormers’ long-term injured players are all making good progress ahead of the 2015 Vodacom Super Rugby tournament.
Carr was in hospital last week with a severe viral infection, but has since been discharged and is recovering well at home, whilst Kolisi is resting a hamstring niggle from last week.
The likes of locks Jean Kleyn and Ruan Botha and prop Frans Malherbe are all still making good progress from their long-term injuries, meanwhile, with Kleyn joining full team training on Monday.
The DHL Stormers will travel to George on Friday, ahead of Saturday’s meeting with the SWD Eagles at Outeniqua Park (kick-off 16h30). The team, to face the Eagles, will be announced on Tuesday late morning.
The DHL Stormers will open their 2015 Vodacom Super Rugby campaign against the Bulls in Pretoria on Saturday, February 14 (kick-off 19h10). Their first home game is against the Blues, at DHL Newlands, on Saturday, February 21 (17h05).
Before then, however, the 2011 and 2012 SA Conference winners will participate in three pre-season friendlies over the next three weeks – this weekend against SWD (kick-off 16h30), the Cheetahs (January 30 – home, kick-off 19h00) and the Boland Cavaliers (February 7 – away, kick-off TBC).
The full DHL Stormers injury report (19/01/15):
– Loose forward Nizaam Carr (viral infection) is recovering well at home and should be available for selection in two weeks’ time.
– Flanker Siya Kolisi (tight hamstring) is in the final phase of treatment and should train fully next week. He will not be available for selection this week.
– Wing Kobus van Wyk (back) is recovering well after missing training late last week, but will not be risked this weekend.
– Prop Frans Malherbe (ankle) and locks Jean Kleyn (meniscus) and Ruan Botha (ankle) all continue to respond well to treatment from their long-term injuries. Kleyn did his first team training session today (Monday), but will not be considered for selection as yet. Malherbe and Botha should join full team training in about two weeks’ time.
* CLICK HERE for DHL Newlands season ticket information!