Two DHL Stormers players have been ruled out of action because of injury, whilst two more players sat out training ahead of the Stormers’ next Super Rugby clash – against the Cheetahs on Saturday.
DHL Stormers coach Allister Coetzee released his regular weekly Monday injury update after the past weekend’s action (the 14-19 defeat to the Crusaders) at DHL Newlands.
The injury update is as follows:
– Flyhalf Elton Jantjies (chest) sat out training today but will return to training later in the week. He will be up for selection (against the Cheetahs).
– Flank Rynhardt Elstadt (shoulder) is not available for this weekend. He will be re-assessed next week.
– Wing Gerhard van den Heever (knee) is also not available for this weekend. He will be out for a minimum of two weeks at this stage.
– Flank-cum-lock Don Armand (intercostal rib muscle injury) is doubtful for the Cheetahs match this weekend.
– Prop Pat Cilliers (hand/forearm) has been cleared after taking a knock against the Crusaders. He will be able to take his place in the Stormers side against the Cheetahs.
– Forward Michael Rhodes (hamstring) is up to speed – fitness-wise (after playing for the WP Vodacom Cup team and working hard with fitness and conditioning coach Steph du Toit) – and will come into contention for the Cheetahs match.
– Loosehead prop Steven Kitshoff rejoined team training today after spending a week on the sidelines due to suspension.
– DHL Western Province Vodacom Cup players, Gerbrandt Grobler, Gary van Aswegen, Marcel Brache, Ederies Arendse, Pat Howard and Tim Swiel all joined Stormers training on Monday.
– Hooker Scarra Ntubeni (shoulder), lock Eben Etzebeth (ankle) and wing Bryan Habana (knee) will all be fit for the Stormers’ tour of Australasia later this month. “Bryan (Habana) has been working really hard and he could be fit for our first tour match (against the Hurricanes in Palmerston North on April 26),” said Coetzee. “I don’t want to get too carried away about his exact return date but he will definitely make the tour.”
ALLISTER COETZEE ON THE STORMERS’ INJURY LIST:
“The Crusaders match has left us without the services of at least three players, but we have Steven Kitshoff coming back.
“One of the good things for us this week is that Michael Rhodes is back after a couple of outings for the WP Vodacom Cup team. He’s also been training with us for a week now since being back to full fitness.
“(Lock) Gerbrandt Grobler, also from the WP Vodacom Cup team, has been training with the squad so he’s ready to step in (if need be).”
COETZEE ON THIS COMING SATURDAY’S CLASH AGAINST THE CHEETAHS (kick-off 17h05):
“We’ve seen how well the Crusaders did their homework and we know that we can expect the same from the Cheetahs.
“The Crusaders have learnt to put all teams under pressure. Despite our lapse, our players will continue to back themselves, which is pleasing because the confidence is still there.
“This week we’ll have to show improvement in all facets of the game if we want to do well against the Cheetahs. It’s never easy in Bloemfontein, it’s going to be a tough (South African) derby… but we need to focus on our game.”